The Brookline Fund to Increase Diversity in Architecture & Design
The Brookline Fund to Increase Diversity in Architecture & Design, managed by the Brookline Community Foundation, was launched to provide Brookline under-resourced students of color (rising juniors and seniors) with an opportunity to explore careers in architecture and design. This effort will consist in:
- Opportunities for students to learn about design professions through presentations, design fairs, office visits, building tours, and shadowing opportunities;
- Opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience through summer internships, scholarships for summer high school design programs, and a design lab with volunteers providing coaching;
- Financial support during students’ college careers and the creation of a scholarship fund through the Brookline Community Foundation;
- Ongoing mentoring and internship opportunities for students.
Brookline is uniquely positioned to create a model for real, impactful change. Our community has an existing educational and mentoring infrastructure including Brookline High School, Brookline Teen Center (BTC), and Steps to Success, and a large number of professionals interested in the intersection of architecture, design, inclusion, and opportunity.
Testimonials from Teens
“This experience made me realize, I want to study interior design, as well as landscape architecture.” – Sophomore Student at Brookline High School, 2022
“I learned more about what an architect does, and the process of making a building and the jobs involved.” – Sophomore Student at Brookline High School, 2022
When is the deadline for the application?
- The application will be open January 1st and is due by June 8th. Applications will not be accepted before or after the deadline.
How do I fill out the application?
- If you are interested in applying to this application, please download this The Brookline Fund to Increase Diversity in Architecture & Design Application and email it to email@example.com or fill out this Google Form. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation.
Where can I find additional information about the summer high school design programs?
- There are two summer programs available through this fund: Boston Architectural College Summer Program (4 weeks in July during the weekdays from 12:00 – 3:30) and UMass Amherst Summer Design Academy (3 weeks in July during the weekdays from 9:00 – 4:00).
Do I have to have prior experience in architecture?
- No! This fund is to provide an opportunity to explore careers in architecture and design.
I received a scholarship last year, can I apply again?
- Yes, you can! There are two different programs available through the fund that will provide different experiences.
Who can I contact if I have a question about the application?
- Please email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I support this fund?